How to Care for Your Porcelain Veneers
Porcelain veneers, are as their name suggests, made of a thin layer of porcelain that is placed over a patient’s teeth to repair chips and cracks, or to improve the appearance of a patient’s smile. Porcelain is preferred to other dental materials, such as ceramics, because it is more durable and less porous than these other materials. Therefore, porcelain veneers are generally low maintenance and can last up to 15 years.
However, if you are wanting to get the most use out of your porcelain veneers and prevent your chipped or cracked teeth from sustaining more damage, here are a few tips to help you take better care of your veneers:
What You Shouldn’t Be Doing
- Grinding or clenching your jaw can damage your veneers and your teeth, as well as cause jaw pain. Visit Four Seasons Dental for a dentist to advise you on how to combat this habit.
- Biting and chewing on hard objects, such as ice or your nails, places pressure on your veneers, which can damage them.
- Although not as porous as ceramic materials, porcelain can still be stained by consuming large amounts of coffee, tea, red wine, blueberries, beets and curry.
- Smoking will also eventually turn your veneers a yellowish color, as well as lead to other dental and general health issues.
- A hard bristle brush and a harsh toothpaste will scrape the surface of your veneers, leaving them looking dull and eventually will damage them. Rather use a soft bristled toothbrush and gentle toothpaste that will polish your veneers.
What You Should Be Doing
- Brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes and floss at least once a day.
- Visit Four Seasons Dental twice a year for us to check for any signs of any damage to your veneers or decay under the porcelain.
- Wear a mouth guard that will protect your teeth and veneers during physical activities.
When in doubt about what dental products to use or how they will affect your dental appliances, such as porcelain veneers, it is advised to first speak to your dentist about the product. Our friendly staff at our Millcreek dentist office are always ready to help you make the best decision when it comes to your dental health. For more information about Four Seasons Dental or to book an appointment, visit our contact and service pages.