Wisdom Tooth Extractions near Cottonwood Heights Utah
We are happy to provide Wisdom Tooth Extractions for any age patient here at Four Seasons Dental Care in Millcreek, UT (which is a suburb of Salt Lake City). Whether you are getting ready for an extended time abroad, such as an exchange student program, or you need Pre LDS Mission Wisdom Tooth Extraction, our top-rated Millcreek Dentists can help you. We also perform extractions on older patients from the areas surrounding Salt Lake City who begin to have problems with their Wisdom Teeth as they age.
What are Wisdom Teeth?
Your wisdom teeth are the third and final set of molars that develop in the back of your mouth. They begin to erupt during the late teen years or your early twenties.
Do Wisdom Teeth always have to be Extracted?
Wisdom teeth do not always have to be extracted. If these teeth develop correctly and there is enough space in your mouth, then there is no need for an extraction. However, this is not commonly the case. Most people’s wisdom teeth grow at an angle or do not erupt from their gum tissue, and stay underneath the surface. In these cases, the wisdom teeth place pressure on the surrounding teeth and tissue, resulting in pain. Alternatively, wisdom teeth that are partially erupted normally become the site of tooth decay as they are difficult to clean, which puts you at a greater risk of gum disease.
How can I tell if I need my Wisdom Teeth Extracted?
The following symptoms/signs indicate you need to see your dentist about your wisdom teeth:
- Overcrowding. This occurs when pressure is being placed on your teeth by a wisdom tooth that is trying to erupt. Since there is not enough space in the mouth for an extra tooth, your teeth will begin to shift and become crooked.
- Swollen gums. The gum tissue around the erupting wisdom tooth will swell and become painful to the touch. Swelling can also be caused by overcrowding.
- Pain. The presence of a wisdom tooth can cause pain around the eruption site, but also in the jaw, making it difficult or painful to chew.
- Sensitivity. A sudden change in your levels of sensitivity to hot and cold temperatures can be a sign of wisdom tooth complications.
- Infection. An impacted wisdom tooth (a tooth that grows at an angle or in the opposite direction to your natural teeth due to a lack of space to erupt) can cause damage to surrounding teeth and increase the risk of gum infections in the back of the mouth.
Wisdom Teeth Extraction Consultation and Procedure
We are experts at Wisdom Tooth Extractions and the determination of the necessity of the procedure here at our Millcreek Dentist Office. Our team will consider your age, x-rays, immediate plans (such as a church mission or going away for college), prognosis and spacing before determining if you are a candidate for Wisdom Teeth Extraction.
We invite you to Book an Appointment with the team at Four Seasons Dental today to learn more about wisdom teeth extractions and whether you need to consider the procedure! Call our dental office in Millcreek, UT today for a free consultation.